Thursday 13 September 2012

The happy shopper...

I love to shop! What girl doesn't!? But my big secret about shopping is that I love doing food shopping. Lucky really considering how much I am eating at the moment. I used to do one big shop a week when I was a three meal a day girl. Then when I first when I first went on Body for Life I would plan about three days ahead as I found that planning a full week of six meals a day was too much and I was wasting food.

As the number of my meals I eat a day increases so do my trips to the supermarket. This, of course, means I am spending quite a lot on groceries every week. I am sure I am not alone in realising that over the last six months groceries have gotten more expensive, particularly fruit and veggies. Shockingly expensive; $10 per kilo for zucchini and egg-plant. And I paid $10 a kilo for tomatoes the other day.

Fruit and veggies are a big part of my diet and have been for many years and the quality of produce at Woolworths and Coles can be pretty awful sometimes. I'm all for supporting independant fruit and veg shops but they seem to be even more expensive than the big supermarkets.

Ok, rant over but I did want to quickly share a few places on the Beaches that I try to get to to do my fruit and veggie shopping.

The first is Narrabeen Fruit Market on Pittwater Road, right next to The Sands.


Narrabeen is really good for pre-packed veggies and fresh herbs. They are pretty much half the price than the same produce at the supermarkets. They also do discount tubs of fruit which are great if you are in to making smoothies and fruit salads.


The Growers Market in Freshwater Village is another great place for discount pre-packed veggies. I have found that the pre-packed things from Hardord Growers do need to be cooked within 24 hours as they pack up and discount the things that have not sold the day or two before hand but apart from that it is fine and super, super cheap ($1 for a cauliflower). They also do quite reasonable un-cooked meats. Chicken tenderloin is about $11 compared to $16 at the supermarket and the rate I go through chicken I'm not complaining.

My Mum will love this post! She taught be everything I know about being "thrifty" (as she likes to call it; my sisters and I call it stingy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment