Wednesday 2 July 2014

Skin...

I've got extra skin on my tummy. Not surprising since there was a baby in there 10 weeks ago. I would be lying if I said I didn't look at my tummy and wonder whether it will ever go back to what is used to be like. Probably not. I am ok if it doesn't because Frankie is way more important than abs and I loved every minute of being pregnant and watching my tummy grow.

But I want to give my tummy the best possible chance to recover. I don't want to get 12 months down the track without having done anything to help my tummy so I decided to give it some love and attention.

Here are my top five tips that seem to be working for my saggy skin...

1. Drink more water
Hydrated skin equals healthy skin!! Drinking plenty of water will help keep your skin flexible and supple. I aim to drink three litres of water plus an extra litre on the days I train. I keep a one litre bottle with me at all times and ensure this is drunk and re-filled three to four times per day.

2. Dry body brushing
Exfoliating helps remove excess and dead skin cells and actually stimulates the growth of new skin cells. As these new skin cells grow they are more likely to fit your new body shape; in my case, my non-pregnant tummy. Body brushing also helps remove toxins from your body. Grab yourself a dry body brush making sure you exfoliate before you shower every day. Start furthest away from your heart working the brush in circular motions towards to your heart. This helps your blood stream carry away the dead toxins. Jump in the shower and wash away all those dead skin cells.

3. Moisturising
Keeping your skin moist will improve it's overall appearance and prevent dryness and stretch marks. I have been using a moisturiser from Kosmea that contains Rosehip Oil and I massage this in to my skin after every shower. Rose hip oil is a naturally rich source of essential fatty acids which help to regenerate skin cells and to repair damaged skin tissue.

4. Lift weights
Training to add muscle mass to your body is a great way to reduce the effects of loose skin. Muscle will take up space on your body frame as well, helping to fill out the stretched skin and give you a strong, active-looking physique.

5. Food
Vitamin A is great for your skin so I try to eat a lot of carrots, sweet potato, tuna and red capsicums. I also ensure I eat plenty of green leafy veggies, fruit and nuts. These are packed full of anti-oxidants and help clear out damaging free radicals which don't help with loose, sagging skin.

Photos on the left taken four weeks after Frankie was born, photos on the right four weeks later.


I am happy with my mummy tummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment