Tuesday 7 January 2014

Hooray for Chicken...

I have not eaten chicken for 24 weeks, not eaten it since two weeks before I found out I was pregnant. The fact I couldn't bare the sight, smell or even the thought of chicken was probably what made me realise that we had fallen pregnant.

On Sunday, I felt like chicken! Hooray!

Simon received Fast Ed's Dinner in 10 recipe book for Christmas and flicking through it I came across his Piri-Piri chicken with zucchini fritters and avocado. In the book Ed uses chicken drumsticks which I am not a huge fan of; too much fat and skin even without the pregnancy challenges. So I substituted the legs for tenderloins.



Ingredients {serves 3-4}

2 lemons
500grams chicken tenderloins
Salt & pepper
1tbsp of chilli flakes
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp ground cumin
1/2tsp ground coriander
2tbsp olive oil for chicken
1tbsp olive oil for zucchinis
4 large zucchinis
2tbsp plain flour
2 eggs
1 cup of chicken stock
1/2 bunch of oregano leaves
2 avocados

Instructions

1. Finely grate the lemon zest and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper then add the spices

2. Pour the olive oil in to a 5L saucepan and add the chicken. Shred the zucchini on the course blade of a box grater into a second large mixing bowl. Put a frying pan over a medium heat

3. Stir the flour & eggs into the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and mix. Add the olive oil in to the frying pan

4. Place 8 large spoons of the zucchini mixture into the hot frying pan and flatten in to disc shapes

5. Add the chicken stock to saucepan and put the lid on

6. Turn the zucchini fritters

7. Pick the oregano leaves

8. Peel the avocados and remove the flesh

9. Place the zucchini fritters on the serving plates. Slice the avocados in to fans and arrange on the fritters. Take the chicken and plate up garnishing with the oregano!

AMAZE!!!!


I have also just realised that I have not done a recipe blog post for a looooong time. This has had something to do with my very limited appetite which I have had to deal with during my pregnancy. I joked this morning that I have been on a carb detox for the last six months...living purely on carbs with very little protein. I have been going with the flow and just giving my body what ever it needs but fingers crossed this is the start of getting back to trying new, adventurous, healthy meals which I can then share with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment